- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of agitating, or the state of being agitated; the state of being moved with violence, or with irregular action; commotion.
- After a storm the sea is in agitation.
- A stirring up or arousing; disturbance of tranquillity; disturbance of mind which shows itself by physical excitement; perturbation.
- She causes great agitation within me.
- Excitement of public feeling by discussion, appeals, etc.
- the antislavery agitation
- labor agitation
- religious agitations —William H. Prescott
- After this conflict pro-independence agitation temporarily died down.
- Examination or consideration of a subject in controversy, or of a plan proposed for adoption; earnest discussion; debate.
Part or all of this page has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
da:agitation de:agitation et:agitation fa:agitation fr:agitation ko:agitation io:agitation it:agitation kn:agitation hu:agitation ml:agitation pl:agitation pt:agitation ru:agitation fi:agitation ta:agitation te:agitation tr:agitation vi:agitation zh:agitation