Middle English gaderen, from Old English gædrian, from Proto-Germanic *ǥađurōjanan (cf. Dutch gaderen, Middle High German [[gadern#Patrono:Gmh|gadern]]), frequentative of *ǥađōjanan (cf. Old Frisian [[gadia#Patrono:Ofs|gadia]]), from *ǥađaz 'fellowship' (cf. Old English gæd), from Proto-Indo-European *gʰedʰ- 'to unite, assemble'. More at good.
Third person singular
- To collect; normally separate things.
- I've been gathering ideas from the people I work with.
- She bent down to gather the reluctant cat from beneath the chair.
- To bring parts of a whole closer.
- She gathered the shawl about her as she stepped into the cold.
- Patrono:Sewing To add pleats or folds to a piece of cloth, normally to reduce its width.
- A gown should be gathered around the top so that it will remain shaped.
- (knitting) To bring stitches closer together.
- Be careful not to stretch or gather your knitting.
- If you want to emphasise the shape, it is possible to gather the waistline.
- To infer or conclude; to know from a different source.
- From his silence, I gathered that things had not gone well.
- I gather from Aunty May that you had a good day at the match.
- (intransitive, medical, of a boil or sore) To be filled with pus
- Salt water can help boils to gather and then burst.
- Patrono:Glassblowing To collect molten glass on the end of a tool.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- A plait or fold in cloth, made by drawing a thread through it; a pucker.
- The inclination forward of the axle journals to keep the wheels from working outward.
- The soffit or under surface of the masonry required in gathering. See gather (transitive verb).
- (glassblowing) A piece of molten glass colected on the end of a blowpipe.
de:gather et:gather el:gather fr:gather io:gather id:gather it:gather kn:gather kk:gather ku:gather hu:gather ml:gather my:gather ja:gather no:gather pl:gather pt:gather ru:gather simple:gather fi:gather ta:gather te:gather vi:gather zh:gather